Saturday, January 24, 2009

Con Jobs

one thing I had realize until I was deep into my job search is that their are a lot of people trying to scam people looking for work.

one would think that the unemployed would be an odd target for con artist due to their lack of income.

but after being on a long job search I can see why we the out of worked are picked by the cons. I think there two reason these con artist prey on the unemployed.

1. They hop to leer in those who are new to job hunting. Like those who just graduated from college, because they are wide eyed and green behind the ears they make easy targets and have a lack of knowledge on looking for work.

2. desperation, is the other reason con artist target job seekers. When one has bills piling up and you've been out of work it easy to let your guard down and jump at any employment offer you receive, even the ones that if you even thought about for a fraction of a second you'd see that they seemed a bit fishy.

luckily the internet offers job seekers tools to help us avoid falling for these con artist's traps. we can quickly look up companies and find out if they are real or not and see if they have any complaints against them.

10 comments:

  1. What were the con artists pushing upon you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't gotten any scams for this site (at least not yet)

    what sparked this post was combination of running across a few cons or at least somewhat shady business on job search sites and some spam email for a work at home job scam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beware of anybody who asks you to pay them money in order to work for them. I've checked into a few "work-from-home" deals over the years - haven't found a legitimate one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know maybe that should be a profession I should get in, con artist or street peddler. I seems like it works for them...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. @myundiary

    ha.

    I'd go with street peddler, at least that way you don't have to trick people out of their money, all you have to do is either sell junk or perform and hope enough people drop spare change in your hat, bucket, instrument case or whatever

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm an HR Consultant, who just moved to Green Bay from Ann Arbor 6 months ago. www.greenbayconsulting.com I still know lots of people in Metro Detroit. If I can lead you in the right direction, I won't charge you teh 10%. I'm going to help just because you have tried a new way to find a job, which shows a lot of creativity, and I've been in your shoes before.
    FYI...Your resume needs some work.I'll email you some pointers.
    I have created a website that just went live today, that may help in your search. www.snapjobsearch.com It scours 300 job boards, sites and papers to find the "hidden jobs"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I'm in the same area as you and also unimployed. Did you year the news yesterday? GM is cutting another 10,000 jobs. That'll just make even more competition for us. Good luck with your search, I like your technique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @DJ

    thanks for the help DJ (my email is iwillpayyoutofindmeajob @ gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Avogana

    yes I've seen the sad news of GM large layoffs (a long with a number of other companies laying of many people)

    ReplyDelete
  10. am i going to pay you, if you find me a job?Why? and how much?

    ReplyDelete